Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Fuller Building



The ancient and looming edifice
under which I stand holds the distinction 
of being one the tallest buildings in the world 
for about thirty seconds 
before another and another 
sprouted up around it like itinerant dandelions. 
Her prow pointed north she has always attempted 
to plow to the very top of the island 
and if I'm not incorrect
she's made a few inches of progress over the years. 

Generally regarded as a menace to design and decency 
my beloved flatiron is a phenomenon of engineering 
and was known for creating a breeze that could 
blow up the hoop skits of ladies at the very end of their walk.
I feel a sort of congress with it's incongruity 
and tendency to be cheeky and overdressed. 
It's big in back and cruel and beautiful as first light. 
I like that. I get it. You're sexy. You know it,
and you'd destroy me for saying so.

She's a little vain it's true with her limestone flounces
the shutters around her clicking all day.
Oh my darling you've developed an ego
and a mean streak a block long.
I imagine if someone were to speak ill of you
in your shadow you would peek the other way
and drop a rosette from your 8th story 
crushing that person to a pulp
and say "Sayonarra" under your breath
while you filed your steel frame into a wicked point.
I think you're the kind that people think needs love
but when confronted with us
you just want our dirty greasy fingers
off of your damn limestone.

You will stand tall and gorgeous and cold
until I too am dead
I love you, I love you, and I'll lay my hard work
at your feet. I will give my sacrifice to gods
of the city, and they will never know my game.
But I know yours. 
I know yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment