Friday, May 4, 2012

Good Advice from My Professor

"We are immensely lucky if we find the right person and, usually, I think the rightness of that person is revealed over a considerable time; but it's not really what we thought when we first got into the relationship. It's something that occurs later." -David Huddle


I was very privileged to take the last poetry course that David taught at UVM. At his retirement party he called us "the fiercest group of young poets I've taught." I try to live up to that; to give my whole self, to not lose the fire that I have...even when I get rejected again and again. 


By his quiet example I am also trying, striving, (mostly failing) to cultivate a peacefulness and patience so I can guide that ferocity. Fire with cause, fire with a course.


This is a great interview


Full Interview about his new book Nothing Can Make Me Do This 

No comments:

Post a Comment