Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Rock & Roll Cookbook: RUSH!

The Lex Wine blog is totally down :(
So I've reposted these articles here.
Thankfully I retained the rights to this project
______


The Rock and Roll Cookbook
Episode 2 - RUSH

THE ALBUM:

There are few bands that divide devoted metalheads in the way that Rush does. Simultaneously self-serious and silly, these gods of the progressive rock camp are known for their technical proficiency as well as their devoted fan base. There’s something inherently nerdy about Rush. The Led Zeppelin obsession, the ringing “astoundingly high” tenor, with sci-fi tinged lyrics, and a set of synthesizers that would make Thomas Dolby blush.
I have to admit that I came to appreciate this band only in the last year. It’s fitting that I was exposed to them in the basement studio of a bass player friend of mine. Sitting around after a long drive back into Brooklyn, the synth player demanded that we listened to Rush. Previously only known to me as “the band with the girl who wails” I found myself actually kind of digging the sound, and deeply amused at the raucous abandonment in which my friends enjoyed the music. Still though, I rolled my eyes. The next day though, when Rush came on the radio, I actually payed attention. A few days later I had bought this album and found myself thoroughly enjoying it. When I caught myself perking up my ears to the opening synth riff of Tom Sawyer and getting into my “ready to rock” stance I knew I was hooked. It’s with that slow realization in mind that I came up with a dinner menu based on their most popular album Moving Pictures.

THE MEAL:

A nod to Rush’s Canadian heritage the protein aspect of this meal is a pan-seared Salmon that juxtaposes sea-salt and honey. It’s named in honor of Geddy Lee’s Order of Canada citation recognizing his humanitarian work.

Favorite Canadian Son Salmon

Needed
-One 6oz Salmon Fillet per person
-2 tbs Olive Oil
-Sea Salt & Black Pepper to taste
-1 tbs Clover Honey per fillet

Heat the 2 tbs olive oil in the pan on medium heat for around 2 minutes.
Take your Salmon fillets and sprinkle the sea salt on the fish.
Place in the pan heated oil and cook for around 4 minutes, flip the fish and let it cook for another 3 minutes. Then spoon the honey over the fillet, the heat will help to liquefy the honey.
Try to get an even coat on the salmon and cook for another minute before removing from heat and dusting with black pepper to taste.

The Real Tom Sawyer’s Collard Greens

It’s funny that a Canadian band would write about something as American as Tom Sawyer. Though the lyrics to this song are cryptic, the recipe based on them is straightforward. Taught to my by my High School boyfriend’s southern mother, these collard greens are comfort food to many.
-One bunch fresh Collard Greens
-4 Cloves of garlic
-2 tbs olive oil
-Red Wine Vinegar
-1/2 tbs table salt


Come Around Mashed Turnips

There are few vegetables that are as divisive as the turnip. A “gross food” to many kids, turnips have a rep for being lame when they truly do not deserve it. Slightly tangy and with way more psrsonality than a potato, the turnip needs a second chance later in life to be really appreciated. Does this remind you of anything dear reader? A certain rock band in my life perhaps?

-FUN FACT!-Did you know that before people carved pumpkins into Jack-O-Lanterns they carved turnips into the crooked smiling lamps for Halloween celebrations?

-ANOTHER FUN FACT!-Turnips were a staple food for the First Peoples of Canada!

-4 fist sized turnips
-2 quarts water
-1 1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 tablespoon sugar
-2 tablespoons butter
-1/4 cup whole milk
-Salt to taste
-1/2 Tsp ground Celery root

Peel and cube the four turnips, it should produce about 6 cups.
On the stove boil the two quarts of water, add in the salt and sugar.
When the water comes to a boil add the turnips and boil them just a little past soft, about 20 minutes.
Drain the turnips and then either put them back in the pot, the flat bottom of the pot makes them easier to mash. Add in the butter, whole milk, and ground celery root, and mash with a potato mashing tool.
Alternatively you can use a table top mixer to mash the turnips. Or some other method. Everybody mashes things in their own way. Do what you want man. It’s the rock & roll cookbook. Add salt to taste and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment